Sunday, September 22, 2019

A letter from Mumtaz


My name is Mumtaz, my name means “good things”. I joined Sambhali Trust about three years ago. I went to school until I was 14 years old.

Mumtaz has been with Sambhali Trust since three
years.
Three years ago, I talked to some women on the streets and they told me about Sambhali Trust. I haven’t paid much attention to what they were saying. But, a few days later, I met them again and they said that going there has already changed their lives. I talked to my husband about a possibility of me joining too, and I did.

When I went to Fatima Empowerment Centre, they did not ask any questions except my name and address. All the other women greeted me with a big smile on their faces. Among them, some were learning sewing, some were studying English. Just watching them already made me feel more confident about my decision of coming here. I learned that there is no age restriction when it comes to education. Understanding this inspired me to become a stronger woman. I will never forget that time. Since that day, I’ve been going to the centre daily – my husband also encouraged me. During the first few months I faced some problems since I wasn’t able to complete all my works at home anymore. However, once my family saw how I have started to benefit from Sambhali Trust, they encouraged and supported me to continue studying. I give my money to my husband and as soon as I want to buy anything, he gives it back to me.

I never thought that my life would ever change for the better, that I would carry the power of self-confidence inside of me. I learned sewing – I liked making stuffed animals the most. Seeing all my good work, Govind bhaiya offered me to work in the Sambhali Trust Graduate Sewing Centre, so that I would earn money and become financially independent. My husband also wanted me to go out of the house and contribute to our family’s income. Thanks to this, I am not afraid to go out in the streets anymore. We have two children and my husband tells them to take an example on me.
I even started to teach some other women my skills and inspire them to make a change in their lives. After some time I started noticing the happiness in their faces – and seeing them happy makes me feel happy too.

From my point of view, I have achieved the goal of my life. Because my daughter receives a scholarship for her education, I am confident that she will have success in her life as well. 
Last thing I want to say: We should all respect and appreciate education for women and girls.

No comments: