Thursday, April 27, 2017

Who Made My Clothes? Profile 3 of 6: Pushpa's Story

Name: Pushpa
Age: 38 years old
Married: yes, since 20 years
Children: 2 daughters (16 and 13 years old) and 2 sons (11 and 9 years old)


A typical day in Pushpa’s life looks like that of most Indian women. The main part of her day consists of taking care of her four children, maintaining the house and cooking for the family. Pushpa dropped out of school after the 7th grade, her parents couldn't afford an education for all 6 of their children. In India it is quite common that the parents only send their sons to school, the girls are needed to help their mothers in the household or with other duties such as rearing cattle.

“When I was 12 years old I looked after the cows, but I wanted to learn. My dream was to become a nurse, that's why I wanted to go to school.”

At the young age of 19 Pushpa got married to an abusive husband. Soon after she became pregnant with her first daughter and in the years after, three more children followed. With her poor education and no prospects of getting a job she was very much dependant on her husband, who earned the only income for the family as a painter.

“Before I felt very poor. My husband was beating me up regularly and I didn't know how to handle the situation. Thanks to Sambhali I feel more powerful now. When he tries to slap me now I am holding his hand that he can't hurt me.”

Pushpa heard about Sambhali from the women in her village who were already working as sewers for the trust. Since she was a little girl Pushpa always enjoyed stitching and was very happy when she joined the sewing centre 9 years ago. The job at Sambhali not only gives her the opportunity to meet other women but it also helps her to be financially independent.

“Before Sambhali I didn't have money for myself or the children, now I can earn the money for my children; that makes me feel powerful.”

Pushpa dreams about having her own little shop where she can sell the clothes she is making. At the moment she doesn't have enough money to start her business but she will continue to work in the Graduate Sewing Centre and work towards her dream. But the highest priority for Pushpa is the education and future of her children. She has especially high hopes for her girls, wanting them to have the opportunities in life which she didn't have.


“I want that my children become powerful and that they'll fulfil their dreams. I want my girls to get a good education and a job. I wasn't able to do so but I hope they will.”

No comments: