Friday, October 03, 2008

Final Impression reports of Ms. Helen Barley and Ms. Meghan Bennett

Final Report
Volunteer: Helen Barley
Dates: 15 Sept 2008 - 2nd October 2008

My purpose for coming to Sambhali Trust was to conduct dissertation research about the issues facing Dalit ‘untouchable’ women in India, and to focus on the effectiveness of Empowerment projects such as the one run by Sambhali Trust. I also used this research to write a Progress Report about the social and economic empowerment of Dalit women through Sambhali Trust’s Empowerment Project, which can be viewed on Sambhali Trust’s website.

Having received a special grant from Durham University which would help me to pay for my research trip, I knew that this trip would not be a holiday, it was going to be hard work. The day I arrived in Jodhpur I had very vague expectations, I didn’t know what to expect- therefore I came with a completely open mind, knowing that I had to be dynamic and flexible if this was to be a worthwhile experience.

Although I was only with Sambhali Trust for 17 days, I must say that this short time was one of the most enjoyable, inspirational and valuable experiences of my life- every single aspect of the trip far exceeded my initially vague expectations. During my time here, I have formed a close bond with many people here- Govind, his wife Mukta, and not to mention all of the wonderful girls on the project. I truly feel I have become part of the Sambhali family- nothing is ever too much trouble and it is clear that Govind is very passionate about the project, having the best interests of the girls at heart.

I was a little apprehensive before I came about whether I would gather enough material for research and if I could get access to proper translation etc. But the first day I arrived in Jodhpur, Govind lay out an action plan for my research, and informed me that he would arrange for me to interview local officials (Divisional Commissioner, District Magistrate, Superintendent of Police, Police C.I) to benefit my research. Also, he agreed to translate any interviews I carried out with the girls. So from day one, I felt relieved and happy that I had the wholehearted support of Govind in pursuing my research- this support had such an incredible influence on my time here, as it encouraged me to do the best research possible.

I knew that my time at Sambhali would not be a holiday or sightseeing trip as I was primarily here to conduct research. However, what I was not expecting was to have an exciting, memorable and truly unforgettable experience of Indian culture and hospitality. Govind ensured that I must experience as much as possible in my short time here- I ate the local India delicacies, saw authentic Bollywood films, slept under the stars in the Thar desert..the list goes on! But also, I was given the opportunity to really make the most of my experience and to seize the opportunities I was given: I visited a Women’s Empowerment Workshop at Jodhpur Institute of Engineering Technology, and, with just 2 minutes preparation, went onto the stage to address 300 young women and guest speakers about my experiences of India and the ways in which Dalit women can be empowered. I visited a Police station with Govind to discuss a case in which a young disabled woman had experienced problems with her in-laws, which gave me a firsthand insight into the justice system. I completed a memorial walk alongside the girls of the Empowerment project to commemorate those who lost their lives in the tragedy at the Mehrangarh Fort on 30th September 2008, laying flowers and signing personal messages of condolence. All of these experiences were challenging in their own unique ways, yet they also contributed to making my time here in India extra special and extra worthwhile.

Overall, I would say that my time here has been an unforgettable experience- it has opened my eyes to the plight of Dalit women, but also instilled in me hope of a brighter future for them, through the hard work of efforts such as Sambhali Trust. My best advice to forthcoming volunteers or those considering spending time with Sambhali- come with an open mind. Be open to new experiences and throw yourself into your time here with enthusiasm, dedication and optimism. My experience here would not have been half as rewarding if I had not approached every day with the energy and enthusiasm required to bond with the wonderful girls of the project, to understand their lives and to experience the true Indian culture and way of life. I am very disappointed that my time here has come to an end, I would happily stay for much longer as I feel so at home here, but I am sure that in the future I will return to experience more that Sambhali has to offer.

Remember- your experience is what YOU make it- come with an open mind and an enthusiastic commitment to the work of Sambhali Trust and I can assure you that your time here will be exhilarating, inspiring and truly unforgettable.
______________________________________________________

Final Impression
Volunteer:- Ms. Meghan Bennett
September 2008

My experience at the Sambhali trust has been very varied and rewarding. I have changed many things about the way the English lessons are taught and recorded, participated in the Ramdevra pilgrimage and Fay and I have designed and taught a series of lessons on nutrition, exercise and sexual health.

I would like to summaries my experience by
1) outlining measures taken for the improvement of English classes,
2) identifying concerns for future volunteers and
3) stating the areas of improvement identified by Fay and I and showing how changes were successfully implemented.

Measures taken for the improvement of English lessons.

* I have provided full sets of lesson plans of each lesson taught. This is intended as a handover for future volunteers so they know what has been taught, to whom and how.
* Lessons have become more focused. Lessons are focused on specific areas of English language, with learning objectives that have been taught and tested throughout. For example, a whole lesson might consist of possessives, (Whose scarf is this? This is Jyoti’s scarf. Etc.) So the girls will be able to create their own sentences at the end, and answer questions. The girls had a sense of achievement that they had accomplished something.
* Girls gained confidence in speaking out loud by practicing saying words and sentences out loud together and individually, practicing role plays and answering questions about themselves. Speaking practice and activities were integral to lessons for confidence.
* Girls were writing words down on the board and in their books in English and Hindi. This meant that we could be sure that girls actually understood what they were writing down, because often they did not.
* Girls are always in the process of being taught to be more self directed. They are given scaffolded sentences which they must complete themselves using a choice of words or a diagram, they are answering personal questions and they are participating in activities/role plays. Being self directed is integral to progress.
* We spent a whole lesson on the teacher assessing the students’ understanding with questions like, “Do you understand? What is this word in Hindi?” and the students asking questions like, “What does this word mean?” etc. Previously girls had not known how to answer or ask questions about understanding.
* We made the behavioral expectations very clear. Girls were not to chat while other girls were answering questions or talking in English. I would wait for silence before I taught the lesson and not talk over them.
* With the help of Fay, we split the class into ‘basic’ and ‘advanced’. We would deal with the same material, but at different levels.
* I started a ‘basic English’ class from 12.30 – 1.00 for girls who are not confident with the alphabet or sounding out words.

Identifying concerns for future volunteers

* There should be a minimum standard for all volunteers to follow in participating as an English teacher.
1) Write lessons down in the lesson plan book,
2) plan focused lessons,
3) correct students’ books.
* It would be great if the ‘basic English’ class could be continued from 12.30-1.00.
* Be assertive. If you say, “English is starting in 5 minutes”, the girls should not be taking 10-15 mins to finish their chatting and tea drinking.
* You are the girls’ teacher, not just their friend. Please take your role as a teacher seriously, don’t let their overly friendly attitude affect your professionalism. Model the behavior you would expect of them.
* Be consistent. There seem to be many distractions which take away from English teaching. I was shocked when I realized I had taught 6 lessons in the first month I was there. Some things which come up are important, but some things should be questioned. If you are asked to run an errand, please ask to do it after or before class. If a girl does not come, question her. If there are visitors, organize the day so English lessons and a ‘cultural exchange’ can both take place. Missing an English lesson should be a last resort.
* Consider what you have to offer. Special one off lessons on anything that may benefit the girls is much appreciated. You will get as much out of it as you put in.
* Use your time wisely. The first hour and a half of lessons is craft time. You could use this to plan lessons, record lessons, mark books or brainstorm more craft ideas. If the girls are distracting you, or you are distracting the girls by doing this work around them, do your work downstairs.
* You should question the girls if you see them doing nothing. They are here to gain empowerment through education, not to spend hours chatting with friends, doing nothing.
* The girls have laminated name tags. If they are not wearing them, ask that they do. If they lose them or new girls arrive, make some more.
* If you have any concerns, ask Govind. He is receptive to feedback and very prompt with affecting change.
* If you are asked to do something related to the Trust that you don’t feel comfortable with, don’t be afraid to say no.

Areas of improvement identified by Fay and I which have successfully been implemented.

These are issues which Fay and I have brought up and which Govind and Tamana have promptly dealt with.
* Girls had stopped doing their Saturday sports. Now, the girls have recommenced Saturday sports and are doing 15 mins of yoga and meditation each morning.
* Girls were really slow to arrive in the morning. Sometimes class would start 45 minutes late. Girls are now arriving promptly, doing prayers and yoga/meditation, and ready to start crafts at 11.30.
* Some days completely lacked focus with girls having nothing to do all day. Now girls seem to be engaged in a main craft project each day, or using a back-up repertoire of crafts such as embroidery practice, if they have finished everything else.
* There were no price tags on the store items so visitors had to enquire about prices. This may have hindered sales. Now there are price tags on all items.
* So many volunteers come through; it is hard to remember the girls’ names! The girls all now wear laminated name tags.
* If girls stop attending, rather than waiting weeks or months to question this, they should be contacted and questioned straight away, to ascertain the reason they are not attending and hopefully resolve any issues.
* Smaller, cheaper items on sale at the shop. Tourists don’t always like buying clothes, bags or large stuffed elephants, but want to make a gesture of support. They might prefer to buy something small, light and cheap. Now things like small stuffed birds are being made, and more items along these lines could be in the future.

Overall, I feel that the Sambhali trust is moving in the right direction, there have been so many positive changes since we have been here, and the classes seem a lot more focused. The structure of the day is more consistent and effective. This has had a huge impact on the girls. They seem really happy with all that they are achieving, are constantly mentioning how much they enjoy learning new English, the girls are always improving their repertoire of arts and crafts which look amazing, and the sexual health workshops have been a huge success. Through these workshops we are giving them access to information which we take for granted in the West. That is, knowledge of our bodies and control over our sexuality. We have covered: the reproductive system, how babies are created and grow, family planning and HIV/STDs. We hope that this knowledge will empower the girls further and for them to gain the confidence and control of their bodies which we so take for granted. Much thanks to Govind and his family for their hospitality during my two months in Jodhpur, well wishes to Govind’s mother for a rapid recovery and my condolences to those who lost family members and friends in the recent Jodhpur temple tragedy.

No comments: